But! This week, as the sun came out to remind us of spring, we finally joined the YWCA and I got to go to Zumba. (For those of you who do not participate in Zumba, it is a dance aerobics class involving salsa, samba, cumbia, hip hop, and other various dance moves). There is something really amazing about Zumba classes that allow women and men of various ages, shapes, sizes, and ethnicities to rock out.
For me, the awesome thing about Zumba is that shaking my hips and waving my arms to the sassy sounds of salsa reminds me how much I love my body. It reminds me that my legs and arms and stomach and butt are the perfect size to break it down on the dance floor. I can't help but smile at myself as I attempt a hip hop dive or perfect the body roll. And, in loving my body and enjoying its movement, I am reminded of the one who made me.
Psalm 139:13-16
For it was you who formed my inward parts;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes beheld my unformed substance.
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes beheld my unformed substance.
For I am fearfully and wonderfully made! I am fearfully and wonderfully made by God, who created the world. There is something magnificent in realizing that the one who knit the heavens, who sculpted the leaves of the trees, who planned out the deep layers of earth- also made me. Made this body for me to inhabit. And calls this body good.
And as I remember the one who made my body, my dance becomes a form of worship and of honoring my Creator.
Of course, not everyone loves Zumba. Some people don't like to dance, some people don't have bodies that let them dance.
And it can be hard to love our bodies- because of the media images of more perfect bodies, because of aches and pains that don't let our bodies work like they use to, because we used to be thinner or curvier or taller or faster, because of injuries or illnesses that leave us feeling weak.
But we all have bodies and all of our bodies were made by God. So what do you love about your body? Do you love the way that your skin feels under the glow of the warm sun or the soft feel of a fuzzy sweater? Do you love the touch of a child's hand in your own? Do you love the way your fingers fly along piano keys or the way your body reverberates with a drum? Do you love the way your body stretches and moves to run or swim or dance?
What about your body and your senses makes you smile?
Then do that! And smile as you enjoy the body that God fearfully and wonderfully made for you.
Thank you for this lovely piece. It reminds me how just yesterday I held, for the first time, my grand nephew. After a few hours, the 17-month-old allowed me to pick him up. As I swayed gently, he nestled into my shoulder in a wonderful hug, body to body, heart to heart. It was love.
ReplyDeleteThank you God for touch.